Just when you thought Banana Bread couldn’t get any healthier or taste any better, it has! And that’s because of the “sourdough starter” being added to the recipe to make it tastier, rise higher, easier to digest, while adding a good hit of probiotics to your snack.
So Let’s get to it!
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil or butter
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar + 1 tbsp
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup of fresh sourdough starter
- 5 bananas mashed
- 2 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 banana for topping of loaf
- Handful of chopped pecans or walnuts for topping
- Mix together the oil, sugar, egg and vanilla
- Mix in the sourdough starter and mashed bananas
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Do not over-mix.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9×5 inch bread pan
- Spread the chopped nuts on the surface of the loaf.
- Sprinkle lightly1 tbsp of coconut sugar on surface of loaf
- Cut up 5 circular pieces of banana and place on the top of the loaf in a row vertically. (Press into batter so that it does not move while baking.)
Bake at 350 F for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool completely before slicing.