The incredible nutritional value of butternut squash is impressive with over four times the recommended daily value of vitamin A in just one serving, over half the recommended intake of vitamin C, and an impressive list of other vitamins and minerals.
This perfect hearty and delicious butternut squash soup recipe is a blended soup with spinach + mushrooms added making it very healthy + comforting to enjoy these cooler autumn days + nights.
- Course: Soup
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hr 30 mins
- 1 cup yellow onion , 1/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 smaller butternut squash ( fresh butternut squash cut into quarter and baked until soft)
- 6 cups organic vegetable stock
- black pepper to taste
- 1 small container of white or brown mushrooms (or your choice)
- 1/2 bunch fresh spinach
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, then add one tablespoon olive oil to thinly coat the surface. Add onions and sauté until translucent, add the garlic, pepper to taste and mushrooms.
- Cut up the butternut squash into quarters, deseed and scrape out strands. Place in preheated oven 400 F. Baked until soft.
- In a medium or lge pot place the broth and heat up on med heat. Add the onion, garlic, pepper, (saute mushrooms separately well)
- When squash is cooked scoop out 4-6 packed cups squash into broth and stir well. Let cook until blended well and taste cooked.
- Scoop out cups of soup mixture and place in blender and pureed.
- Place all blended soup back into pot on stove and the cut cup spinach and the sauteed mushrooms and cook until spinach is cooked and mushrooms are soft.
You really don,t have to do much to make this soup taste good because butternut squash is so flavorful, the best squash for soup.
Enjoy! Will stay well in the fridge or you can freeze as well.