These muffins make for a healthy snack, naturally sweetened with blueberries and apple, crunchy with brazil nuts and lightly spiced.
- Virgin coconut oil, to grease the pan
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup organic sprouted spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp milled flaxseed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped apple
- 1/4 cup chopped brazilnuts
- 1 cup mashed roasted sweet potato (can roast night before)
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup dairy or non-dairy milk
- 3 Tbsp virgin coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen are fine, and you can add them to the batter straight from frozen)
- Roast sweet potato
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease the cups of a 12-cup muffin pan with coconut oil. I find muffin papers tend to stick to these particular muffins.
- Place the oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, nuts, spices, flax and salt in a large bowl. Stir well to combine.
- In a separate bowl, place the sweet potato, egg, coconut sugar, milk, apple, berries and coconut oil. Whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just mixed.
- Fill the muffin cups and top with berries and chopped nuts.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes until the muffins are firm to the touch and dark golden. A toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin should come out clean.